How to Respond Like Kendall Jenner to A Breakout Right Before a Big Event
Kendall Jenner’s skin has been in the forefront of celebrity media after she made an appearance at the Golden Globes with visible acne on her cheeks. Fans were quick to comment on social media about her rarely seen blemishes. Of course there were some who criticized her appearance, but most showed admiration for coming out even with a not-so-perfect complexion. Kendall responded positively to a fan saying, “never let that sh*t stop you!”.
People were left feeling better about their appearance knowing that a supermodel struggles with the same skin issues as most. We’ve all been there. You are planning to attend a highly anticipated event and all right before the big night your skin runs wild! Ugh! So what do you do? We will walk through what is the best Do’s and Don’ts for these skin emergencies.
The Don’ts – What not to do to those unwanted breakouts.
- Don’t pop it! Resist the urge to pop pimples. Not only can you cause permanent scarring to your skin, but you can also make the appearance of the blemish worse.
- Don’t apply too many overly drying products. Yes I know it is an emergency, but don’t go overboard when applying products. Applying a salicylic, benzoyl peroxide, and retinol product can help dry up these pesky zits, but applying too much can just cause more inflammation and irritation.
- Don’t try to cover up by apply too much makeup. Applying too much heavy makeup can be contrary to camouflaging and actually shine light on the problem area. Not only does this not look good but it can also clog the pores and cause the breakout to become worse. Instead try a cover up that is made with ingredients that help treat the blemish while covering it up like Jane Iredale Disappear Concealer. This concealer aids in calming the skin with Green Tea and Vitamin C while hiding the blemish with a great coverage.
- Don’t touch! As difficult as it may be, make sure to keep your hands off the blemish. Your hands have oil and dirt (even with consistent washing) that will just exaggerate the problem.
The Dos- How to properly treat skin pimples and blemishes
- Keep it clean. Wash your face with a deep cleaning, non-irritating cleanser like EltaMD Foaming Facial Wash, and keep the area clean.
- Spot treat the blemish with a product containing a retinoid, salicylic acid, or benzyol peroxide. We recommend Osmosis Clarify Blemish Serum which uses a retinol mixed with natural oils and extracts to calm and treat blemishes. Another great product to try is SkinMedica Acne Treatment Lotion which uses Benzyol Peroxide to fight bacteria.
- Use a mask to help pull impurities out of your skin like Revision Pore Purifying Clay Mask. However, don’t use it for the first time immediately before your big event! Using the right mask can help smooth and brighten your skin, but verify that your skin doesn’t have a reaction to any product before your big night.
- Moisturize. Don't be afraid to moisturize the area. Using a product that doesn't clog the pores but acts as a natural barrier like, EltaMD Barrier Renewal Complex, can help smooth the appearance of unwanted acne and act as a primer for makeup.
- There are a few in-office procedures that can quickly aid in ridding acne. For large cystic acne, you can get an injection of cortisone at a physician’s office. Another procedure called CryoCorrect by SkinCeuticals can immediately freeze zits and pimples and help get rid of them swiftly and effectively.